Bring something new to the table this Thanksgiving and serve up some food for thought with the following quiz!
- 1) What do we call the skin that hangs off the turkey’s neck?
- 2) What is the red flap that starts at the base of the turkey’s beak and hangs over the top?
- 3) What percent of a turkey is white meat? And dark?
- 4) Why is turkey the traditional entree on Thanksgiving?
- 5) According to the National Turkey Federation, how many pounds of turkey do Americans eat on Thanksgiving Day? A) 100 million. B) 513 million. C) 690 million.
- 6) Which U.S. President set aside the last Thursday in November as a “day for national thanksgiving and prayer?”
- 7) When is Thanksgiving celebrated in Canada?
- 8) Do all turkeys gobble?
- 9) Can turkeys fly?
- 10) What children’s TV favorite wears a costume made of turkey feathers?
all images, here.
- 1) Wattle.
- 2) Snood.
- 3) Typically, a turkey has 70 percent white meat; 30 percent dark.
- 4) To remind us of the four wild turkeys served at the Pilgrims’ first Thanksgiving feast in 1621 at Plymouth Rock.
- 5) 690 million lbs.
- 6) Abraham Lincoln.
- 7) On the second Monday in October.
- 8) Only male turkeys gobble. Hens make a clicking noise.
- 9) Domesticated turkeys can’t fly, but wild turkeys fly up to 55 mph for short distances. They’re also fast on feet, covering ground at speeds of up to 25 mph.
- 10) Sesame Street’s Big Bird.
Be well and do good,